Types of Cases
The Disability Law Center may be able to help you if you are a person with a disability and have a legal issue related to the disability.
The following are examples of issues/problem areas generally pursued by the Disability Law Center:
- Social Security applications (SSDI for applicants statewide, SSI only for Juneau applicants who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.)
- Disability-related employment discrimination;
- Medicaid appeals;
- Access to appropriate Special Education programs;
- Complaints about the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), Tribal Vocational Rehabilitation (TVR), or an Independent Living Center (through our Client Assistance Program):
- Access to voting.
We typically refer Housing questions to the Fair Housing Project through Alaska Legal Services.
Within available resources and consistent with agency priorities* and case selection factors, the Disability Law Center may:
- Respond to complaints of abuse, neglect or denial of rights;
- Provide self-advocacy training and education for consumers, family members, service delivery professionals, constituency groups, and the community;
- Intervene or assist individuals to advocate for their own rights;
- Provide legal representation if the problem cannot be resolved using other strategies;
- Organize workshops and distribute materials on legal rights, special education, public benefits, and other topics;
- Provide information on the rights of people with physical and/or mental disabilities and make referrals when appropriate.
*Priorities are established each year, in part based upon public comment.
The following are examples of issues/problems NOT pursued by the Disability Law Center:
- Divorce, custody, support, OCS, and other family law matters
- Wills, trusts, and estate planning
- VA benefits
- Criminal issues/proceedings
- Legal or medical malpractice
- Alaska State retirement/disability benefits
- Workers' Compensation or collective bargaining
- Unemployment benefits
- Products liability
- Indian/Tribal law
- Native Allotments
- Subsistence issues
- Automobile accidents/traffic violations
- Consumer protection
- General Tax matters
- Pension issues
- Property disputes or real estate
- Insurance disputes